Friday, September 7

November - Month 2

We spent the first week of November back in Lexington packing with the movers. It took 2 days to pack and I think the rest of the week for us to organize what we left behind in the house.

Back in Holland, we got the keys to our apartment on November 15...I was away for a training so James spent the first night there alone....and from what I hear it was a little cold! We brought our blow up mattress and a set of sheets and towels from the US in our luggage. That first weekend we got as organized as we could without our shipment....we borrowed a card table and chairs, tailgate chairs and dishes from Jack and Kathy. We went to the Media Mart (like a Best Buy) and bought a TV, DVD player (enabled for region free as different DVDs are not universal....and to watch DVDs from different areas of the world, you need your player to be region free), and microwave. I bought us a skillet and spatula. At least we could cook in one skillet and eat on borrowed plates!! We called it camping....but it got a little old.

Thanksgiving was our first real holiday away from home. Our friends hosted Thanksgiving dinner and each family brought a dish. It was as close to a family gathering as you can get when you are 6000 miles from home. I went to a church service in the morning in Leiden (there were pilgrims in Leiden, too) and then we had dinner. James was still in school so he did school work while I went to the service. Friday, it was back to work for us as it is not a National Shopping Day like in the US.

Those are the highlights for November.....

No comments: